Thursday, October 2, 2008

My personal Journey as Prestons mom

Preston had to start patching his good eye so we could make his weak eye stronger. Unfortunately he could not see since his vision was so poor with corrective lenses it was a 20/80 in his left eye. It was a struggle everyday for him to patch. We tried everything to get him to patch.
We went back to see Dr. Desantis and she had informed us that his eye was not getting better and we need to work on this so the next visit we deicide to dilate his eye every other night.
He had just started Kindergarten and it was a good thing that he is a sharp young boy. He was having a little bit of difficulty seeing the letters poor guy.
After a year of dilating his eye and not seeing any real progress I told the Doctor we did not want to dilate his eye anymore it was interfering with his learning and no real progress she agreed.
So we ordered these really cool new eye patches that don’t stick to his eye lashes. We did incentives so he would patch. He would have to patch for a certain amount of time before we would give him a prize. My mother-law is wonderful, Her support and love, She sends him a care package and he gets new goodies to patch for and she writes him a note with each package giving him words of encouragement.
We are still not seeing the improvement we need I would catch him peeking when he would patch. I felt it was still a struggle and only seeing very little improvement.
My heart would drop every time we went back to see his Doctor and we would hear the words that there was not much improvement.
We knew he had to put allot more effort into patching and keep it going strong. Patching does work! you just have to make sure that he is not cheating and peeking. While we were hearing the not so good news I thought
I would ask the doctor if he was a little legally blind in his left eye she said not a little but he is legally blind in his left that is why we need to really work on it. If he were ever to hurt his other eye he would never be able to drive unless we could get the other eye stronger. I did not want to hear that and now I was really determined to do something else for Preston. On our way home it hit me I am going to write a children’s book on this topic and see if I can help Preston and other children through this process and bring awareness to Amblyopia. It is the # one cause in blindness in children if undetected.

This is when my journey started writing children’s books!

No comments:

Our dog Beau

Our dog Beau
Preston's eye patch buddy

Preston and his eye Doctor

Preston and his eye Doctor
Eye Exam

Preston and Beau Eye Patching

Preston and Beau Eye Patching
Eye Patch Buddies